Sunday, March 23, 2014

Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake Copycat Recipe


Good day everyone!

Happy 2014 to you all!  I don't normally use this blog for this sort of stuff (or at all, lately) for recipes, but I figured this would be a good place to share it since I got a lot of requests for info

This cake was fun to make and SO good.  It wasn't too hard and didn't require too much work either.  I scoured the internet to find the one that most closely resembled the actual, and found recipes for separate things that I brought together to make what I thought was the best one.  I hope you enjoy!
                         
                                                                                  

Ingredients:

Cake
1 quart chocolate ice cream softened
1 quart vanilla ice cream softened
1 bottle Smuckers magic shell ((or you can make your own, recipe: http://food52.com/blog/7286-two-ingredient-magic-shell)
24 oreo cookies, filling removed
8-10 ounce jar of chocolate fudge sauce (I used smuckers fudge as it came in a little pouch, so easy to spread over the cake.  You can use whatever you like)

Frosting
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tbs sugar
2 tsp vanilla

1. Line two 9 inch cake pans with saran wrap.  Let the ice cream soften to the point that you can scoop the ice cream in and smooth it into a flat layer (You can use more or less ice cream, dependent on how thick you want the cake to be.)  Create the vanilla layer in one pan, the chocolate in the other.  You can obviously use other ice cream flavors if you like.  Instead of chocolate I used the mocha ice cream recipe from Ben & Jerry's recipe book, and it was amazing.   Cover with saran wrap and put in the freezer to firm up.

2.  Remove the filling from your oreos and discard (if it makes you sad to do this, you could build your own DIY double stuff oreos with the filling and the oreos remaining in the package.  I considered it but decided against it.  I now consider it a missed opportunity.)  Crush the oreos until they are in small coarse pieces.

3.  Run some warm water over the bottle of magic shell and shake it..shake it...shake it..shake it like a polaroid picture (sorry, couldn't resist) Once it is well shaken, squeeze it into the oreo crumbs.  Be sure not to squeeze in too much.  You want the crumbs to have the texture of wet sand, but not be too liquidy.  For me this took about 3/4 of the bottle.

4.  Remove the chocolate layer from the pan and place on a plate.  Spread the crunchies over the chocolate layer.  Warm the fudge slightly to make it spreadable, but do not warm it too much.  Remove the vanilla layer from the pan and place on plate.  spread the fudge over the top of the vanilla layer. Take the vanilla layer and place it on the chocolate layer, chocolate fudge side facing down.   Cover cake in saran wrap and place back in freezer to set.

To make icing:

1. Pour the pint of cream into a chilled bowl.  Add the sugar and vanilla extract.
2. Beat the mixture until it forms stiff peaks.
3.  Remove cake from fridge and frost.

A few notes:

  • Obviously, if you have a spring form pan, it is easier to make the cake using that pan, however, I would still let the various layers freeze in between so they hold their shape.  I don't have a springform pan (I'm totally getting one now)  so I used this method to keep the various layers from mixing together too much.  If you do use a spring form pan, grease the pan with butter to make it easy to remove the cake.)
  • If you are using homemade ice cream for the bottom layer, make sure it is a nice sturdy one, preferably custard based.  If it's not custard based, use it as the top layer instead (who says the chocolate layer can't be on top?) 
  • I ended up not icing my cake and it was still AMAZING.  I will still probably try to make the icing at some point in the future, but if you don't feel like icing it, you certainly don't have to.  I also saw recipes that suggested using a frosting consisting of 1 part cool whip and 1 part ice cream.  
  • I tried to post a picture, but for some reason it wasn't working, I'll try again later. Sorry, recipe blog fail.  Just imagine a Dairy Queen cake but even more glorious.  Imagine a fudge crunch layer three inches thick, and the cake being brought to you by George Clooney on a stallion. That should get you through this difficult time. (I've added the picture now but I'm leaving the sentence so those of you who are looking at this after the edit can enjoy the image of George Clooney delivering ice cream cake to you on a stallion)  Anyway, my cake turned out just a smidgen melty, but it's my first attempt, so I wasn't expecting it to be flawless.   I still think some pictures are better than none because they convey the important part-that it is fudgy ice cream-y goodness in a delapidated state of glory. 
Anyway, I hope you enjoy!  Take care! 
                        
                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment