Monday, July 9, 2012

The Opportunity Costs of Being Rotund

Two blog posts in 3 days?  Woooooah there.  Getting a little crazy up in here.  But as I sit on my couch, the beads of sweat from my evening run still grossing out my gentleman caller, inspiration struck. 

When I used to think about being overweight, I'd think "Ohhh I'm chubby!  Johnny Cool Guy isn't going to want to go out with me!" or "Now I'll never be a teen model!" (Oh wait sorry, that was Marcia Brady) My main reason for wanting to lose weight was so that other people would like me, wouldn't be grossed out by me.

Isn't it a wonder I wasn't successful?  I mean, there's no better motivation to accomplish something than to change what people you don't know or care about will think about you, right?

Well, as it turns out, not so right.

I recently read somewhere (upon further investigation to give proper props, on a Cracked.com list of 7 Scientific Reasons You'll Turn Out Just Like Your Parents) that as we get older, we are more likely to enjoy 
things that don't necessarily have a quick payoff. This is why when we're young, we like video games and nights filled with Natty light and flipcup, whereas when we get older, we start enjoying things like organizing our spice drawer and refinishing furniture. This makes logical sense, and might also help to understand why past weight loss efforts by Bethanys of diet past have failed.  Even when you work out for 2 hours, your waist doesn't automatically get smaller.  Ope, must not be worth the effort!

Despite the fact that there are lots of other great reasons to get healthy, a new big one occurred to me today.

I ran today.  It was hard.  I sweated a lot, breathed heavy, felt just a little dizzy.  It wasn't particularly pleasant to be running down a street in my neighborhood in this manner. 

However, when I was done, I felt amazing.  Had I not ran, I might have done a load of laundry, sat on the couch and watched tv, eaten some junk food, and felt my night complete.

Like so often is the case for us overweight people, food brings you joy.  In any situation, we immediately think of the food that goes along with it.  You're getting married?  Sweet, what kind of cake?  Your son is getting circumcised?  Sweet, what kind of cake? (Okay, might not be applicable in that context) But the point is that when food is the main thing that brings you joy in life, you aren't as likely to seek out other things.  If you can be happy sitting at home eating 3 cupcakes and watching eighties movies, why keep searching for other reasons to be happy?  If food is keeping you happy, you just might not notice that all your pants are too small and your body requires it's own zip code.  That you're skipping out on things you want to do because you don't have the energy, or are afraid people will judge you. 

This, my friends, is the thing I am no longer willing to accept.

You see, I do love food, and I always will.

But...there are so many other joys in life to pursue.  Relationships with amazing friends.  New experiences.  Helping others. Passion.  Conquering challenges.  Dressing up in clown suits.  Career success.  Family.  Learning.  Shopping for your wedding dress without mortal fear.  Things that require physical endurance.  There are so many places to see and things to experience in this world.

I suppose it's a cliche, for a reason.  When I look back at my life, I don't want to think about all the nights I spent at home watching movies and hiding from the world.

I want to think about the people I've loved, the things I've learned, the experiences I've had.

And so even though it's hard for me to run, and to take good care of myself...I'm going to do it.

Because even if it doesn't have the instant payoff of eating a glorious dessert, or a particularly awesome burger, in the end, being healthy means my life will be full of a lot more opportunities for joy.

And that's damn good motivation for me.

Happy Monday my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment